Monday, July 2, 2012

Day 359: Three Philosophers



Name: Three Philosophers
Brewer: Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown, NY)
Classification: Quadrupel 
Alcohol: 9.8%

Thoughts: I got one week left! Seriously? I am so happy to stop reviewing these beers and just drink them. But before I do that I am gonna get so good beers in. Here I have Ommegang's Three Philosophers. It is one of the most legendary beers in the American Craft Brew world. I here stuff about it all the time and it is always extremely positive. I thought it was about time I tried this big mother humper. It pours a purplish amber color with a full, broad head. It just looks thick and full. The aroma is full, rich and very complex. I got notes of vanilla, cherries, oak, sugar and a bit of yeast. The malts are a bit distant for my taste. Usually a quad has full flavored malts, but this one has muted malts. The taste is pure and solid though, an there is a richness to the malts that is not apparent in the smell. The notes are exactly the same as the aroma with the addition of the malts so I won't make another list of crap for you to sift through. The body is in the medium range and lifted up by the active carbonation. It's super-sweet but balanced a bit by the yeast's phenols. Overall, this is an above-average Quad. A damn fine American attempt at the style, but not comparative to the revered Belgian inspirations.

Rating: 86/100


No comments:

Post a Comment