Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 1: Dead Guy Ale

 

Name: Dead Guy Ale
Brewer: Rogue Ales (Newport, OR)
Classification: German Maibock/Helles Bock
Alcohol: 6.5%

Thoughts: I've decided to start big. Before I started this year of beer, Dead Guy Ale was the best beer I had ever had. I don't know if that speaks to my inexperience in the beer world or the fact that there is just so much fucking beer out there! However, I wanted to see if it could hold up over the year. 

Despite the word "Ale" being in the name of the beer it is no ale. This a German beer through and through. It has a classic orange/copper color that is better in person and the picture does it no justice. It smells of honey and sweetness and freshness and beer (of course). Dead Guy Ale is a versatile beer and can be drunken crisp and cold or warmly sipped. The German hops are upfront when you drink it and the finish is smooth with a slight hint of vanilla. It has a texture and a drinkability of a fine wine. It is a tremendous beer that I recommend to any type of drinker. Actually, the Most Interesting Man in the World would prefer this to Dos Equis. It's just that good. Also this will remain my number one beer for at least one day (See the Top 10 List). 

Rating: 88 /100

4 comments:

  1. Maybe I should have a shitty beer week with Schlitz, Natty Ice, and Steel Reserve...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, I'll have to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Checkout my blog for some good IPA's..... Great idea! and good luck!
    http://hoppiestbeer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete