Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 47: Antigoon



Name: Antigoon
Brewer: Brasserie Beck (Ursel, Belgium)
Classification: Belgian Pale Ale
Alcohol: 6.8%

Thoughts: Is anybody else in utter bewilderment by the awesomely awesome artwork on the label? I mean that is badass and pretty much the sole reason I chose this beer. The artwork depicts "... the story of the mythical Roman soldier Silvius Brabo; an underdog hero who cut the hand off of the cruel giant Druon Antigoon. He then tossed it in the river as Antigoon had done to many undeserving victims in his time. A bit of David and Goliath for the Belgians." Well, it turns out that this is one phenomenal brew. Also, it is the first Belgian beer to be specifically brewed in Belgium for an American restaurant, Brasserie Beck in Washington DC. This Belgian Pale pours a bright, light gold that radiates beneath the thick, white head. In the smell I got clove and spice from the yeast and hints of citrus and alcohol. The taste is simply divine. Next time I am in DC I will be going to Brasserie Beck and trying this on draft. Honestly, this is the freshest beer I have tasted over the last month and a half. After a few sips I complied these words to describe it: bread, spice, orange, earth, and cream. Really well balanced against the alcoholic aftertaste. Yesterday I said I haven't had a lot of Stouts, but I have had a lot of Belgian Pales, or Belgian beer altogether. And this one stands out as one of the best. It was a real surprise, because as I said earlier it was the artwork that made me choose this beer. Maybe I should do that more often. There is a close-up of the label below. 

Rating: 92/100


No comments:

Post a Comment