Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Day 171: Westmalle Trappist Dubbel



Name: Trappist Dubbel
Brewer: Brouwerij Westmalle (Malle, Belgium)
Classification: Dubbel
Alcohol: 7%

Thoughts: This is the first Trappist Ale that I have had on The Beer Year. A Trappist Ale is an ale that is brewed under the rules of the Trappist Monks. There are only 7 breweries in the world that are certified as Trappist and they are all within Trappist Abbeys, which is one of the rules. What all this means is that these beers are brewed with the upmost care and respect for the brewing process and the ingredients used. The result is that some of the best beers in the world come from these breweries. They are expensive beers but this one was a Christmas present and I was very thankful for it. It pours a dark mahogany color with a slight reddish tint and a huge foamy beige head. As I popped the cap of the bottle I walked about 5 feet away to put my bottle opener away and the aroma seemed to beat me to the spot. It was that strong. The smell is full of dark cherries, spicy Belgian yeast and a load of bready malts. The head never faded and I spent the entire experience drinking the beer through the head. It was similar to drinking a Guinness. The body was full and the flavor was potent. More dark fruit and spice are involved but we get some new additions. There are dry, earthy malts, a candy-like sweetness and the backbone of this Dubbel is the warming alcohol that washes the palate and throat. I can easily tell the difference between this Dubbel and other Dubbels I have had. It is stronger in build, deeper in flavor, and livelier in character. This is a beer-lover's delight and a beer-snob's must. 

Rating: 93/100


No comments:

Post a Comment