Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 24: Augustiner Brau Edelstoff



Name: Edelstoff
Brewer: Augustiner Brau (Munich, Germany)
Classification: Munich Helles Lager
Alcohol: 5.7%

A Short Story: I need to tell this story because it is quite possibly one of my most favorite experiences of my life. One Spring Break during college I went to Europe to visit some friends. I was leaving one friend in Mannheim, Germany and meeting another in Munich and then going to Prague. I was going to meet my friend in Munich at our hostel. I was supposed to leave the train station and walk 3 blocks. Instead, I went left and walked 3 hours! In the snow! By about 9:00 I reached the hostel only to realize my friend had left and gone to a concert. I was famished and in a city I knew nothing about. Luckily across the street was the Augustiner Bierhaus. I went in, sat down at a table and before the waitress placed the menu in front of my I said "Gross Bier" (meaning "Big Beer"). She brought me a liter of this same Edelstoff that I am reviewing for this post. I then ordered a full roasted duck, red cabbage and a dumpling the size of a softball. As I am finishing my beer I hear someone shouting in my direction. I look up and there is a man with a UNC shirt yelling at me. I then realized I had an NC State shirt on and after a liter of beer I was ready for a shouting match. It was a "It's a small world after all" moment. I then proceeded to go back to the hostel and get hammered-wasted with a bunch of teenagers from Ireland. All in all, a great night!

Thoughts: The first thing I have to say is that sometimes beer never tastes the same as you may remember it or want it to taste. I wanted this beer so badly to taste like it did the night of my story. I was so nervous it wasn't going to. But a great beer always comes through. I poured it in a nice frosty mug, because that is what it deserved. This straw-colored gold brew looked magical behind the frosted glass. The smell of fresh grass and pils malts lit up my nostrils and immediately brought me back to that night in Munich. The smoothness and sweetness of the malts balances perfectly with the citrusy, floral hops. It was so unbelievably smooth I finished half of it before I wrote down any notes. This is the perfect German beer for any occasion. I loved this beer and I promise it will not disappoint. I hope everyone has an experience with this beer, because it is an experience within itself. 

Rating: 94/100


1 comment:

  1. One year after you posted this, I couldn't agree more. What a subtle treat that made me realize what the other light-lager and pilsner brewers were doing wrong. This beer is perfection.

    ReplyDelete