Monday, June 11, 2012

Day 338: Pennant Ale '55



Name: Pennant Ale '55
Brewer: Brooklyn Brewery (Brooklyn, NY)
Classification: English Pale Ale
Alcohol: 5%

Thoughts: I am a massive baseball fan. I mean huge! And my team in none other than THE New York Yankees. I grew up getting bed time stories from my grandfather about him watching Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig as a child. My dad told me stories of Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris from when his father would take them to them games. I grew up on Jeter. So a beer based on the Brooklyn Dodgers winning the '55 NL Pennant and eventually their first World Series win is a cool idea to me. Just one problem. It's an ENGLISH Pale Ale! What?!? Come on Brooklyn! This should be a nice simple American Lager or an Amber Ale. Anyways, Pennant Ale pours a light, cloudy mahogany with a head that reminds me of memory foam. The smell is heavy on the British malts which give of a bready, grainy aroma. The hops are absent from the nose, but they show up a little more in the taste. First sip is sweet, but the aftertaste brings out the sourness of the fruit.  There's a little malt profile there to balance things out, but this beer is pretty tasty. This beer makes more sense in your mouth then it does on paper though. I need to apologize to Brooklyn Brewery because this beer would make total sense at a baseball game in the mid-50s. Well done. 

Rating: 83/100


No comments:

Post a Comment