Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 328: Hell or High Watermelon


Name: Hell or High Watermelon
Brewer: 21st Amendment Brewery (San Francisco, CA)
Classification: Witbier
Alcohol: 4.9%

Thoughts: I've been trying to get my mitts on this mother-humper for a long time now. I could never find in a store and never get to a bar that had it on tap. But I finally found and it it could not have happened on better day. It's June 1st, which means summer is officially underway! I decided to drink this beer straight from the can since that is what I do with all my canned beers. I mean, if the brewers cared what the beer looked like then they would have bottled it. The smell and taste are practically identical. The wheat malts are bready and a bit short of being fresh. The hops are tart and really dry. The carbonation tickles the nose on the smell and the throat on the taste. It is a very bubbly beer. Then comes the watermelon, and it comes in way late. All these other things happen and you are waiting for the watermelon to kick in, and right before you give up it shows up for the last dance. It twirls sweetness and fruit together on your palate like a cement mixer creating a very unique sensation. I don't think this is a great beer, but it is a successful one. I would whole-heartedly recommend it, but with a warning: it's not perfect.

Rating: 80/100



No comments:

Post a Comment