Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 268: Burton Baton


Name: Burton Baton
Brewer: Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (Milton, DE)
Classification: Imperial IPA
Alcohol: 10%

Thoughts: Today was perfect weather-wise. 76 degrees, sunny, a slight breeze. Big Boss even tweeted to share that it was perfect drinking weather. I happen to agree so the wife and I went to Tyler's for the first time in a while. Their menu was looking good, but the waiter said they had a few things not on the menu that were pretty interesting. He then listed about 4 or 5 Imperial IPAs that I have been dying to try. So I started with Dogfish Head's Burton Baton, which is an oak-aged Imperial IPA that is twisted together with an old-world English Ale. It is a pretty unique beer that I have been wanting to try for a while. It pours a creamy orangey-copper with a soapy, white head. The aroma is full of life with its hints of apricot and vanilla. Not to mention the fragrant hops and malty undertone that give this smell its wings. I expect this to be an intense beer that would knock me off my feet. I based this anticipation off of the high gravity and forward aroma. However, it left a bit to be desired. It is a great beer, please don't get me wrong, but all the hype didn't come  to fruition. The oakiness was underwhelming, the alcohol was subdued, and all the fruit and sweetness couldn't make up for that. I think I am being a little hard on Burton Baton. I think that I am usually harsher on beers that are so close to being great that I knock them down a peg or two out of spite. That is wrong of my and I send my full apologies to this beer. 

Rating: 89/100


No comments:

Post a Comment