Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 93: Hex



Name: Hex
Brewer: Magic Hat Brewing Company (Burlington, VT)
Classification: American Amber Ale
Alcohol: 5.4%

Thoughts: Magic Hat is one of the biggest breweries I have had on his blog and I truly believe they make craft brew at a big brewer rate. I am a huge fan of them and #9 is one of my favorite brews. On this occasion I am trying their October seasonal Hex. Unlike other October specials this is not a Marzen, it is an Amber Ale. It pours a brownish rust color with an off-white, foamy head. There is a dense smell of dried, dark fruit along with a smoky, malty aroma. In the initial burst of flavor there is intense sweet caramel and toffee notes that distinguish this beer right away. It is quickly followed by more smoke and a biting finish. It is a very unique smell and flavor for an Amber Ale. As Magic Hat does with all their beer they left behind convention for a more progressive, fearless brew. Hats off to Magic Hat! Yeah, I know that's corny. 

Rating: 85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment