Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Day 108: Blowing Rock Oktoberfest



Name: Blowing Rock Oktoberfest
Brewer: Boone Brewing Company (Boone, NC)
Classification: Marzen
Alcohol: 5.6%

Thoughts: I'm always excited to see a new beer come out of NC, and even more excited when that beer is an Oktoberfest. Even if this beer is brewed by a company in Pennsylvania for a company in North Carolina I still count it as an NC Beer! This Marzen poured a clear dark amber/orange with a thick beige head on top. The retention is weak, but it left some lacing on the glass as I drank it. It smells earthy, but a little dull as there just isn't much happening. The mouth feel is creamy, but with just enough carbonation to give it a little zip. I wasn't expecting much in the flavor, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Nice caramel kick at the onset, full bready hops throughout, and it finishes slightly bitter sweet. This is balanced and plenty drinkable. I could have a few more of these for sure, but it is nothing more than average. 

Rating: 76/100


No comments:

Post a Comment