Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 95: Erdinger Oktoberfest Weissbeir



Name: Erdinger Oktoberfest Weissbier
Brewer: Erdinger Weissbräu (Erding, Germany)
Classification: Hefeweizen
Alcohol: 5.6%

Thoughts: The original Erdinger Weissbier was the first beer I ever had. When I was 18 my family went to Ireland and the bartender recommended it as a good first time beer for me. Well, let's just say it is has since become my favorite beer. I will eventually have it on the blog, but today I am reviewing their Oktoberfest which is also a hefeweizen. Erdinger Oktoberfest pours a pale, hazy yellow with an immensely thick head. The aroma of this beer is high on the banana notes and low on the spice notes that you get with a traditional hefeweizen. The flavor is sweet and again heavy on the banana, and light on the clove and pepper that are common in the taste of most hefeweizens. This instead was a Marzen style beer made with wheat. The malts are present and balance out the sweetness nicely. This would explain why they are calling it their Oktoberfest. It is a pretty good beer, but I would rather have their traditional Weissbier. 

Rating: 84/100


No comments:

Post a Comment