Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 89: Brooklyn Oktoberfest



Name: Brooklyn Oktoberfest
Brewer: Brooklyn Brewery (Brooklyn, NY)
Classification: Marzen
Alcohol: 5.5%

Thoughts: It has been 87 days since Brooklyn Brewery was introduced on this blog and I have literally wanted to have a new beer from them every week since then. I have held off because I wanted to share the wealth. However, this is a themed month here on The Beer Year (If you don't know what I am talking about check out the Sam Adams Octoberfest post). So this seems like a great time to get them back on here with their very own Oktoberfest. This Marzen poured a clear dark red color that really showed up when I put my hand behind the glass. It looked like Cheerwine. The head was thick and creamy with a faded tan color. The smell was aromatic and floral with plenty of caramel and malts mixed in. I admit that this beer was not properly chilled, only a couple of hours, but the taste was still lacking something. I don't think this was a particularly smooth beer and the nutty, tangy taste was choppy in my mouth. The aftertaste seemed a bit off. I can't put my finger on what it tasted like, but it wasn't all that great. This is a tough beer to make your own because almost everyone uses specific Munich Malts to brew it. However, Brooklyn claims their malts were grown specifically for them in Germany. Well, maybe they should get a new grower. 

Rating: 78/100

No comments:

Post a Comment