Monday, October 24, 2011

Day 107: Terrapin Pumpkinfest



Name: Pumpkinfest
Brewer: Terrapin Beer Company (Athens, GA)
Classification: Fruit/Vegetable Lager
Alcohol: 6.1%

Thoughts: I am getting tired of Marzens and Pumpkin Ales. So good thing I picked up a beer that tries to be a combination of both. I am going to be honest, I may not pick up another Marzen or Pumpkin Ale until October of 2017. I have never wanted to see November more and I will not be having anymore themed months, because it really limits my choices. Sorry for the griping, but here is what I got out of Terrapin's Pumpkinfest. It pours a stark chestnut with with a lovely cream colored head. The smell reminds of pumpkin puree that you put into a pumpkin pie. It isn't heavy on the spices but it is definitely pumpkin. So far there has yet to be any sign of Marzen in this beer, it better show up in the taste otherwise Terrapin are liars. And now that I have said this I can say they are not liars. This beer taste like a smooth, nutty Marzen and then suddenly shifts into a spicy, sweet pumpkin beer. There also seems to be a touch of honey which really kicks it up a notch. I like this beer. I like the flavor, I like the mouth feel and I like the concept. Kudos to Terrapin for a quality, well-crafted October combo beer. 

Rating: 84/100

No comments:

Post a Comment