Saturday, October 15, 2011

Day 98: Aviator OktoberBeast


Name: OktoberBeast
Brewer: Aviator Brewing Co. (Fuquay-Varina, NC)
Classification: Marzen
Alcohol: 7.2%

Thoughts: After work today I went a bar that is really close to wear I wok, but isn't really known for having an outstanding selection of craft brews. However, they do have some local breweries with rotating taps. When I arrived I thought I would end up having something I had already had, but Aviator had their October seasonal OktoberBeast on tap. Despite being served in a Coney Island Freaktober glass (This will be on the blog later in the week) it poured a ruddy orangey-amber with a soft white head. The smell was somewhat simple with basic malts and a syrupy nose. I want to preface what I say about the taste with this: I feel that some breweries do certain seasonal beers because they can make money off of people being sentimental and wanting a drink to match the season. This may have fallen under that spell because the taste was a bit skunky even though it had nice hops and decent earthy follow through. I felt that if Aviator put their heart and soul in to this beer it could be really good, but as it stands it is definitely lacking quality. 

Rating: 77/100


No comments:

Post a Comment