Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day 269: Hop Wallop


Name: Hop Wallop
Brewer: Victory Brewing Co. (Downington, PA)
Classification: Imperial IPA
Alcohol: 8.5%

Thoughts: Another beer that caught my eye at Tyler's was Victory's Hop Wallop. As you can see in the picture this looks like no other Imperial IPA you make have seen. It looks like a simple Kolsch or Pale Ale because it is opaque and bright gold. Usually an Imperial IPA is hazy and a darker color; anywhere between copper and brown. It made me slightly wary of what was to come. After one whiff of this walloping Imperial IPA took away all my doubts and reminded me of the old saying, "Never judge a plastic surgeon by how he looks, just on how he operates" (I just made that shit up). This delectable beast operates pretty damn well. The aroma is one great big nostril orgy of aromatic, piney hops and super-floral fruit esters. The body of this beer is very clean and light with enough malt to not allow the hops to subdue your taste buds like Steven Seagal judo chopping some bad guys. The fruit is where it is at though. Lots of berries and citrus in the flavor. And the bitter hops finish the palate off like a Thai Masseuse. I know that is a pretty vulgar statement, but I was close to that feeling. I was literally hop walloped by this beer. Nothing short of amazing!

Rating: 93/100







No comments:

Post a Comment