Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 212: Caldera Pale Ale


Name: Caldera Pale Ale
Brewer: Caldera Brewing Co. (Ashland, OR)
Classification: American Pale Ale
Alcohol: 5.5%

Thoughts: I went on a nice refreshing run to shed off the extra Super Bowl pounds. I got back and immediately went to the fridge for a bottle of water to cool down. However this brightly colored can of Caldera Pale Ale caught my eye and well, I couldn't resist. I was feeling a bit mischievous so I sat on the back patio cranked some LCD Soundsystem and enjoyed my beer. I don't usually get to do that on early February day. It was evident from the start that this was going to be a good afternoon. The smell rising from the beer was the most pungent aroma I have ever smelled from a can. It was like a sweet, grassy cannabis mixed with fresh baked bread. Oh it was good! The taste made me even happier. There was some fruit (most likely grapefruit), oily hops, sugar and a wonderful malty spine that balanced out the sweetness perfectly. There was no metallic aftertaste, as it was clean and moist. No dryness in this Pale Ale. I adored this beer!  Not only is this recommended but it gets the claim as being the best canned beer I've ever had.

Rating: 88/100

No comments:

Post a Comment