Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 219: Racer 5 IPA



Name: Racer 5 IPA
Brewer: Bear Republic Brewing Co. (Healdsburg, CA)
Classification: American IPA
Alcohol: 7%

Thoughts: I have been eyeballing the crap out of this beer since the beginning of my Beer Year started and I never brought myself to buy it. Mainly cause it is an IPA and I have always already had an IPA in my basket. This time I went right to it and it was the first beer in my basket so I wouldn't overlook it. This IPA pours a golden orange with a thick bubbly head. Lots of the tropical fruits, oranges, grapefruit, pine the smells with lots of lingering floral hops. If I really try I can almost smell a touch of light malt, but it smells like a delicious hop nectar. In the flavor you get great tangerine notes, peachy hop sweetness, which quickly shifts to a grapefruit. But the pine is hugely present too. The finish has some warming alcohol in it. It is a little low on the carbonation which makes it warm quicker than other beers. This is a great beer as it just smacks you up front with the hops. However the surprise is that there are a lot of different layers to the hops in it which makes it a very interesting and stupidly tasty drink. It has definitely been worth the wait.

Rating: 88/100


No comments:

Post a Comment