Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 207: Newcastle Founder's Ale



Name: Founder's Ale

Brewer:  The Caledonian Brewery Co. LTD (Edinburgh, Scotland)
Brewed in Newcastle, England
Classification: English Pale Ale
 Alcohol: 4.8%

Thoughts: A while ago Newcastle sent me some samples to try for the blog. Well, they are back at it again! They sent their new Special Edition Founder's Ale for me to enjoy. You can see what they sent me on the Beer Me page, and don't forget you can send me samples too. I was really interested in this beer because the other beers they sent me were darker styles like English IPAs and Brown Ales. This lighter English Pale Ale poured a beautifully clear amber-brown with a middle-of-the-road sized head. This great Newcastle glass allowed for the smell to open up and for me to get a great read on it. The aroma had some notes of toasted malts, pale malts and a hint of what seemed like leather. It seemed traditional and "British". The first sips were a bit tense for me. As a fan of Newcastle I wanted this to be really good, but I needed to be partial as a reviewer. I hopefully did both jobs well. The taste had an herbal tone to it with sweet malts filing in behind it. It had a distinct nuttiness to it as well. The finish was the best part of this beer though. It was slightly dry, a tad bitter, but very clean. It is extremely drinkable with little alcohol in the flavor. This was my favorite of the beers they have sent me. I felt comfortable enough with it to drink a six-pack and I like it enough to recommend it. 

Rating: 85/100


No comments:

Post a Comment