Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 234: Chef Will's Stout (Homebrew)


Name: Chef Will's Stout
Brewer: Chef Will
Classification: Stout
Alcohol: ?

Thoughts: At my work we have a couple of Chefs who run a Culinary Job Training Program. One of these chef's has become a beer lover like myself and decided to brew his own beer. I call him Chef Will aka "The Jamaican" because he has long dreadlocks that some time get braided. I call them breads, which is prefect because he is a chef. Anyways, his beer is why I'm here. It poured a dark, dark brown, almost black with no head whatsoever. I talked to Chef and this was his first batch and he is still learning about the brewing process just like myself. He had warned me there was little carbonation, this may be due to the fact that I asked if he used priming sugar and he said, "What?" Priming sugar is what carbonates the beer. The smells were good though. It was malty, sweet with a dab of hops. It was more like a porter than a strong stout. The taste was similar to the smells. It was extremely malty, but less sweet. The hops were present, but did nothing to even out the malts. Chef, if you are reading this than this was the best beer ever made. But, if you aren't reading this it was just ok, but for a first attempt at homebrewing this was good.  

Rating: 76/100

No comments:

Post a Comment