Saturday, February 18, 2012

Day 224: Triangle IPA


Name: Triangle IPA
Brewery: Triangle Brewing Co. (Durham, NC)
Classification: American IPA
Alcohol: 5.7%

Thoughts: This is the second IPA I've had from Triangle Brewing Company. However, I tried them in reverse order. They brewed this IPA a few years ago and sold it as India Pale Ale. Then the made some adjustments and sold the new beer has IPA 2.0. Well I had the IPA 2.0 a while ago and the bar I was at  tonight luckily had one of the last remaining original India Pale Ale kegs from Triangle Brewing Co. This India Pale Ale pours an orange gold with a completely faded head that neither laced nor ribboned around the glass. The aroma was very bitter and it bubbled in my nose as the vapors escaped from the glass. After a few sips I could tell that this beer needed some adjusting which is probably why Triangle went at it a second time. The taste is overly dry and there is not enough sweetness to counteract the dryness. The hops are sharp and piney, which I rather liked, but the malts were almost non-existent. There was also a bit of herb in the flavoring as well. This was a good first attempt, but I preferred the 2.0 version to this one.

Rating: 81/100


No comments:

Post a Comment