Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 216: Purple Haze


Name: Purple Haze
Brewer: Abita Brewing Co. (Abita Springs, LA)
Classification: Fruit Beer
Alcohol: 4.2%

Thoughts: I think from the moment I started to notice beer as something more than a drink to get drunk Abita Purple Haze has been on my radar. I've heard it compares similarly to Magic Hat #9 and I've seen it all over the place. However, I've never actually had it. Well, I was at Laura's school to present the program that I run to her class and the other 3rd grade classes at her school. Afterwards, also after school ended, we went to Tyler's in Carrboro for a drink and possibly some of their amazing Carolina Nachos. The glass had a little foggy tinting to it so I am unsure of exactly what color it poured but it looked fairly golden. The smells were heavy on fruity esters, most likely raspberry as this beer is brewed with raspberry puree. The taste is less fruity than I thought it would probably because of biscuity malts and floral hops. The feel of this beer is rather nice as it is creamy and crisp. I expected this beer to be slightly "gimmicky" or "girly", but it's not. It is very drinkable, very clean and pretty enjoyable. 

Rating: 82/100


No comments:

Post a Comment