Monday, February 20, 2012

Day 226: Kellerweis



Name: Kellerweis
Brewer: Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. (Chico, CA)
Classification: Hefeweizen
Alcohol: 4.8%

Thoughts: I have been running for a little over a year now and I finally decided to break away from my 5k routine and just run as far as I could today. I managed to run for over an hour and run 10k. I was really proud of that so I wanted to have a beer worthy of my accomplishment. I stuck my head into my fridge and I came out with Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. I then poured it into my big pilsner glass and it showed a straw-gold with orange hues and a two-finger head. The aroma is mostly spicy yeast and orange peel, but a little bit of fresh hops sneaks through. The smells are cleaner than an OCD Maid's kitchen. I mean really crisp and noticeable. Most hefeweizens have the same characteristics in the taste: wheat, clove, and citrus. Kellerweis is no different there, but where it sets itself apart is in the intensity and energy that these flavors hold. This is a bold drink, but it has a flaw that I have seen before in great wheat beers. It happened with Namaste. The taste stops right before hit hits your throat and you feel like you are missing out on something. I hope that I'm not missing out on much. 

Rating: 87/100


No comments:

Post a Comment