Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 16: Petrus Oud Bruin


Name: Petrus Oud Bruin
Brewer: Brouwerij Bavik (Bavikhove, Belgium)
Classification: Flanders Oud Bruin
Alcohol: 5.5%

Thoughts: Bet you didn't know there was a classification called Flanders Oud Bruin did you? Well to be honest, neither did I until I found this one. I really had no clue what I was getting into when I ordered it, but this is what I experienced. The color was a dark, rich red with an airy pinkish-brown head. The smell on this beer was something else. It was tart, oaky and reeked of cherries. When I was drinking it the sour cherry flavor mixed well with the sweet malts and made for unique experience. Despite it being a beer, there are no traces of alcohol in it. It was very light-bodied and a easy to drink. I wouldn't chug it, but it is not a sipper. After a little research I discovered that this beer is oak aged for 20 months after it is produced. I think this explains some of the flavors. I wouldn't necessarily order this again, because it is not my style, but if it was in front of me I wouldn't say no. 

Rating: 79/100


No comments:

Post a Comment