Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 22: Green Flash Imperial IPA



Name: Green Flash Imperial IPA
Brewer: Green Flash Brewing (San Diego, CA)
Classification: American IPA
Alcohol: 7%

Thoughts: Last weekend I took a trip to Tyler's Taproom, as I have being doing to check out some good beers. After I had ordered I overheard the bartender, who seemed rather knowledgeable on the subject of beer, talking about how much he liked Green Flash IPA. He also had recommended the Great Divide Grand Cru I had a little while back. So I thought I would try it next time I was at Tyler's. Except I forgot about it and got the North Coast Scrimshaw. However, this time I remembered and I am very glad I did because I was in for a treat. When it showed up at my table I couldn't help but smile at how great this beer looked. It was a beautiful grainy gold with a nice soft white head and enough sediment to keep me from seeing through it. The smell was intoxicating! It was flowery, bitter and I got lots of grapefruit and some cannabis in my nose. They all blended extremely well. I think this is the first beer on this journey I did a double take on. After the first sip I immediately had to go back in for another one. It was that good.  The citrus, flowers, and hops were spot on with the smell. The aftertaste was remarkably smooth and a little dry to create that great crispness that leaves you longing for more. The hops in this were sensational and not overbearing. This is an IPA I would recommend to others who struggle with the hoppiness of other, stronger IPAs. I will be go back to this one when The Beer Year is over and I can drink as much as I like of whatever I like. 

Rating: 92/100


No comments:

Post a Comment