Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 13: Saison Dupont



Name: Saison Dupont
Brewer: Brasserie Dupont (Tourpes-Leuze, Belgium)
Classification: Saison
Alcohol: 6.5%

Thoughts: July 21st is Belgian Independence day and even though this will be the post for July 22nd, I will review a beer I drank on the 21st. Saisons are called Farmhouse Ales in the United States. They are typically dark, very spicy and sophisticated. This saison was a little different. It poured a hazy yellowish gold and it was difficult to see through. The aroma was faint, but I could notice lemon, lots of pepper and something funky I could not figure out. It took me almost the whole glass to figure out the taste. There was obviously some spice, but also some citrus flavor and a bit of sourness. It actually tasted more like a witbier (which will be tomorrow's post) than a true saison to me. It was light and the drinkablity was great. It was 99 degrees out when I was drinking it and I feel like it was refreshing, almost like lemonade. I really liked the zest and the attitude I got from the aftertaste. I love Belgian beer! It is the second best beer country in the world (behind Germany, in my opinion) and I am proud to help them celebrate their independence with Saison Dupont. 

Rating:  87/100


No comments:

Post a Comment