Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 18: Southern Tier Hopsun



Name: Southern Tier Hopsun
Brewer: Southern Tier Brewery (Lakewood, NY)
Classicification: American Wheat Ale
Alcohol: 5.1%

Thoughts: You know a beer is in trouble when it is a wheat beer and it is as clear as this one. A wheat beer should be a golden orange with sediment floating in it. This was not. A soft yellowy gold that looks watered down. However, the smell was citrusy and full of hops. Then I drank it and it immediately tasted like a bad batch. It was well watered down, and only light on taste. I am going to re-check the bottle to make sure it wasn't a light beer or some crap like that. It was uninventive, unimpressive and unpleasant to say the least. I found no summer, no sun and no wheat in this Summer Wheat Ale. I won't be drinking this again.

Rating: 62/100


2 comments:

  1. I've never had a great American wheat beer. After coming back from Germany I tried to find a good Weizen replacement, but they're all missing the roundness and depth that every german wheat beer seems to have. Luckily, I discovered Schlitz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a good Hefe that I will be talking about in my post this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete