Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 9: Great Divide Grand Cru



Name: Great Divide Grand Cru
Brewer: Great Divide (Denver, CO)
Classification: Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Alcohol: 11.0%

Thoughts: Great Divide is another big craft brewer that has made some waves in the beer world. However, this is the first beer that I've had from them. I will most likely be going back to them in the future. This Grand Cru was a terrific drink. As you can see in the picture it pours a dark brown, almost black with about an inch of foam on top. The smell is tantilizing and a unique one at that. I sensed wood, grapefruit, and loads of spice. My first sip left me a bit dazed as it is quite complex, but I may also have been preoccupied with the smell to notice much. As I kept drinking it I was drawn in by the richness of the Belgian yeast and the fruity complexity. It is medium-bodied, but was very drinkable. I had just a 10oz drink, but I could and would enjoy more. It has taken only 9 days for Dead Guy Ale (the best beer I had ever had before I started) to be overtaken. This Grand Cru is dynamic, sophisticated and down right good. 

Rating: 89/100

No comments:

Post a Comment