Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 17: Scrimshaw Pilsner


Name: Scrimshaw Pilsner
Brewer: North Coast Brewing Co. (Fort Bragg, CA)
Classification: German Pilsner
Alcohol: 4.4%

Thoughts: If you have been reading my blog then you may remember my post about Bitbuger, and my major problem with bottled pilsners. Well here is a pilsner draft and I can tell you there is a huge obvious difference. This pilsner poured a darker gold than the Bitburger. It is actually darker than most of the pilsners I've seen. The sweetness and bready malts are present in the nose of this beer. The taste is extremely well balanced. Maybe the most balanced of any of the beers I have tried so far. There of hints of grain and malts and the finish is dry, but sweet. I feel like this is a very traditional taste for beer. If you walked into a beer house in Germany you would be greeted with a giant liter of something that tastes real similar to this. I really enjoyed it.

Now to plug Tyler's Taproom for a second. Tyler's was recently named one of the Top 100 Beer Bars in the US. It is where I have been doing some of my "research" and my wife loves it so she suggests we go there and I never refuse. Their beer menu is in a leather bound book. I mean, come on ... that's legit. If you are ever in Durham, NC try it out. 

Rating: 83/100


No comments:

Post a Comment