Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 11: Oak Aged Made Hatter IPA



Name: Oak Aged Mad Hatter IPA
Brewer: New Holland Brewing (Holland, MI)
Classification: American IPA
Alcohol: 7.5%

Thoughts: When I was at the store picking this one out there were like 3 other Mad Hatters by New Holland, but I wanted to try this one because it was oak aged. I wanted to see if the oak aging process really adds a dynamic to the beer. The color is a medium amber and the foam is plain white, which ribboned around the glass incredible well. The intricate smell was composed of cloves, coconut and oak of course. The taste is two dimensional. On the front of the tongue you get the oak and the bready malts. On the back end of the tongue you taste the bitterness from the floral hops, but it is smooth and not choppy like some IPAs. It is extremely well carbonated and the dryness can be felt in the mouth. This wasn't a traditional IPA by any means and it stands out for me as one of the more interesting beers I've had on this quest so far. The oak is present in almost every aspect of the beer and adds that likable characteristic that I feel some IPAs are missing. 

Rating: 87/100


No comments:

Post a Comment