Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 61: Dixie



Name: Dixie
Brewer: Dixie Brewing Co. (New Orleans, LA)
Classification: American Adjunct Lager
Alcohol: 4.6%

Thoughts: I like to pair my beers with food. I spend a good amount of time thinking of pairings when I select my brews, but I don't talk about it enough on this blog. Mostly because I don't remember to do it, but also because sometimes my pairings fail miserably. Well today I hit the mark on my pairing. I paired  Dixie with a cajun kabob or chicken, spicy peppers, onions and cajun season. I did this because this beer is from N'Orleans so it should work well. The beer poured a yellow-gold with a thin head. The smell had buttery notes and hints of sweet malts and grilled corn. It smelled like cornbread before you bake it. The taste was extremely sweet, almost to a fault. This could have been more of the butter and sweet malts. There is no bitterness and it is quite simple. The simplicity is key because it allows for spicy, complex flavors in food to open up but at the same time remain enjoyable. There are a lot of beers that get overpowered by food or others that can ruin the food. This one sat in the backseat while the food drove the car but they both go to the same place at the same time. With all this gloating and praising of this beer, it is really just an average beer. I just had a good experience with it. But I will be drinking it again. 

Rating: 76/100


No comments:

Post a Comment