Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 62: Wildflower Witbier



Name: Wildflower Witbier
Brewer: Natty Greene's Brewing Co. (Greensboro, NC)
Classification: Witbier
Alcohol: 4.5%

Thoughts: Natty Greene's may be brewed about an hour and a half west of here in Greensboro but they have big present right here in the Triangle. They have a restaurant/pub in Raleigh, they have a stand at Durham Bulls baseball games and their beer can be found everywhere. I have had a number of their beers, but I was hesitant to try the Witbier because I wasn't really a fan of their Amber Ale or Pale Ale. But, I was in the mood for a little home cooking. When poured, this NC brew is a dirty golden orange with a 3 finger thick white head. The number one thing I notice in both the smell and taste is sweetness. It may come from different things but its as much a part of this beer as making shit up is to the Tea Party. The smell is also flowery with hints of melon and honey. The taste surprised me because I thought it was going to be overly sweet, but it is nicely balanced out with spicy coriander and zesty orange peel. The aftertaste is quite different for a Witbier because there is a thickness to the beer to go along with the tingle that runs down the back of your throat. This is the best of the brews I have had from Natty Greene's, but it doesn't make up for the disappointment I have felt after their other beers. 

Rating: 83/100


No comments:

Post a Comment