Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 69: Gaelic Ale



Name: Gaelic Ale
Brewer: Highland Brewing (Asheville, NC)
Classification: American Amber Ale
Alcohol: 5.8%

Thoughts: Highland Brewing is based in Asheville, NC which, for you that do not know, is in the Appalachian Mountains. If you have ever been there it may remind you of photos you have seen of the Scottish Highlands. It is the perfect place in the US to make Scottish style beers. And that is just what Highland does. The first one I will be testing is their flagship drink, Gaelic Ale. I have had this before at an Irish Pub downtown Raleigh with some Bangers & Mash and it was amazing. Let's see how it stands up to the test of time, because that was 3 years ago. The appearance of this beer is a murky reddish brown with a tan head that failed to gain any momentum. The taste was somewhat of a let down. I expected it to be swift to the nostrils and fresh on the brain. It was fairly normal for any amber ale with bready malts and hints of pine and vanilla. As I drank the beer, the nuttiness, earthiness and notes of toffee washed over my tongue and reminded me of why I liked this beer so much. You can hold a big pint of this while you are loud and obnoxious at a bar and not feel like a dick. Because it was made for a Scotsman to drink, and that's what Scotsman do. Overall it needs some work, but this is another of my "Experience Brews". 

Rating: 84/100


No comments:

Post a Comment