Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 320: Aces & Ates


Name: Aces & Ates
Brewer: Big Boss Brewing Co. (Raleigh, NC)
Classification: American Stout
Alcohol: 8% 

Thoughts: I have never had this beer before but I know plenty about it. I thought it was about time I tried it. It poured a pitch black with a minimal, tan head. It took a while to settle just like most stouts, but I'm always amazed at how the sediment floats up and settles as the head. The nose is mostly roasted malts, like burnt coffee. However, there is a noticeable amount of chocolate flavoring, whether from the coffee or actually chocolate nibs. This is a thick stout with a lot of alcohol so it took me quite a while to consume it. I was actually able to write my notes down, usually I have to remember them because I go through the beer so quickly. Those good ol' roasted malts were back with a vengeance. The finish is rather bitter and full of warming alcohol. This is a really good stout because despite its grandeur it is rather simple and delightful. 

Rating: 84/100


No comments:

Post a Comment