Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 311: Golden Cap


Name: Golden Cap
Brewer: New Holland Brewing Co. (Holland, MI)
Classification: Saison
Alcohol: 6.25%

Thoughts: After work I went and grabbed a drink with a few co-workers. We went to Raleigh Times which is one of my favorite spots in downtown Raleigh, or anywhere to be honest. It was a lovely day sit outside and enjoy some alcoholic beverages, so that's what we did. As you can probably tell I ordered New Holland's Golden Cap as it was on draft. It poured a golden-straw color with bright white, frothy head. The photo is rather picturesque of how a beer should look. The aroma was very sharp and yeasty. Pepper or clove was involved, not exactly sure which, and also bready malts. The breadiness was more appetizing than in other Saisons I have had. Saisons are just amazing complex beers with lots of surprises in each one. This one was a bit more wheat-based than others. It was a sweet wheat that blended well with the spicy Belgian yeast and tamed clove. I had just as much difficulty tasting the spice as I did smelling it. That's not a bad thing, just an observation. Overall this beer did the trick. It gave me joy, it was complex and pretty interesting. I recommended it to one of my co-workers and she enjoyed it too, so I'm not the only one that thought it was a good beer.

Rating: 86/100


No comments:

Post a Comment