Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 316: Big Eye IPA



Name: Big Eye IPA
Brewer: Ballast Point Brewing Co. (San Diego, CA)
Classification: American IPA
Alcohol: 6.8%

Thoughts: I don't know much about Ballast Point but I thought I'd give them a try in hopes that this was a sleeper of beer. I rather go into drinking a beer for the first time with no expectations, it means you are surprised no matter what. This was a good surprise. It pours a creamy copper with a one inch, beige head that laced its way around the glass as I drank it. The aroma was very piney and full of hop resin. I call it that "sticky-icky" after another resin filled product. I also got something that smelled like bay leaves and of course, citrus. The taste was gigantic. Lots of flavor and texture to sort out after the first few sips. It starts out a little sweet and fruity, but that quickly succumbs to the pineapple and citrus hops. This beer is packed full of hops that sit on your palate for a while even after you've finished it. The feel is medium-bodied but really soft and velvety. This beer is a session beer. The alcohol is usually what makes a beer a session beer to me, but in this case it is the bitter, dry hops that really drive this beer. If you are looking for a palate challenge look no further. 

Rating: 88/100


No comments:

Post a Comment