Friday, May 4, 2012

Day 300: SkullSplitter



Name: SkullSplitter
Brewer: Orkney Brewery (Orkney, Scotland)
Classification: Scotch Ale
Alcohol: 8.5%

Thoughts: Today is Day 300! I simply cannot believe this Beer Year has flown by so quickly. With only a couple months left I need to start going after some of the beers I really want! I am going to start with Orkney's SkullSplitter. This is a top notch Scotch Ale made on the Orkney Islands, which are off the Northwest Coast of Scotland. This Wee Heavy pours a rich nut brown color with a beige, creamy head. It is a lot darker than most Scotch Ales. The smell is pretty big. I got some toffee notes, roasted nuts, raisins and alcohol. The alcohol scared me because it was a little strong for my taste so I expected it to be over my head in the taste. But, it was scaled back a bit and really added itself nicely to the notes of scotch whiskey, sugar, raisins, and toasted malts. It is an expansive taste with loads of complexity and sophistication. This is a well-crafted beer that has the bonus of being a little rare and very unique. A 100% recommendation from me!

Rating: 90/100


No comments:

Post a Comment