Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 299: Ruby Redbird



Name: Ruby Redbird
Brewer: Spoetzl Brewery (Shiner, TX)
Classification: Fruit Beer
Alcohol: 4.01%

Thoughts: I tried to be a little adventurous in my beer selection tonight. I got Shiner's Ruby Redbird, which is a beer brewed with red grapefruit and ginger. It actually sounded like a fun and interesting combination. However, as usual I was a little skeptical of it being "all that good". It poured a pinkish color and looked very much like a pink ginger ale with tons of carbonation. The head was all bubbles and faded very quickly. The smell was amazing, probably the best part. Lots of grapefruit esters, rich malts, and of course ginger. When it came time to taste the beer I was really hoping for a good mesh of ginger and grapefruit and that one didn't overpower the other. But that wasn't the case. While the grapefruit was noticeable, the ginger was everywhere. I thought I would be able to handle it as it tasted like a really sweet ginger ale with a splash of alcohol. But about halfway through I couldn't take it anymore. I have to give Shiner credit as it can definitely work, it just needs a little retooling. 

Rating: 73/100


No comments:

Post a Comment