Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day 137: Serrano Nevada (Homebrew)


Name: Serrano Nevada
Brewer: Chris & Meghan
Classification: American Pale Ale
Alcohol: ?

Thoughts: My cousin Meghan and her fiance, Chris, are beer enthusiasts like myself and have been doing some homebrewing. I got a chance to try a couple samples of what they have brewed lately when we were together for Thanksgiving festivities. The first one is a pale ale recipe similar to that of Sierra Nevada, but brewed with some serrano pepper. They cleverly named it Serrano Nevada. I didn't really pour enough to get a good look at the body of this beer, but as you can tell from the picture there was a large tan head with plenty of carbonation. The aroma had a deep citrus scent, some biscuity malts and of course some earthiness from the serrano pepper. I was expecting the pepper to be overbearing or at least the most prevalent note in the arrangement. It was actually quite reserved and more of an added bonus than a feature. The flavor has a great hoppy bite with a little bit of sweetness from both the malts and the pepper. The thing the pepper added the most of was the lingering spicy heat. It was simply great. This was such a brilliant idea and even the name is awesome.  I am not just saying this because they are my cousins, I could really see this being perfected and bottled for sale. When I eventually start my brewery I will be calling for this recipe.  

Rating: 85/100


No comments:

Post a Comment