Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 122: Southern Pale Ale


Name: Southern Pale Ale
Brewer: Natty Greene's Brewing Co. (Greensboro, NC)
Classification: American Pale Ale
Alcohol: 5.3%

Thoughts: Of all things Holy and Sacred to me the most important of these (other than my Wife) is my undying love for The Pixies. They are my favorite band and I joyfully worship the ground they walk on. I have been trying to see them live since they reunited about 5 or 6 years ago and they were playing in Greensboro tonight. I wasn't going to miss this for the world so of course I went. I decided to show up in Greensboro early to grab a brew and some food. And since I was in Greensboro I thought I would get some Natty Greene's brew. I settled on their Southern Pale Ale, probably because it was on special, but also because I think this is their best beer. This APA poured a hazy orange with golden highlights and a frothy off-white head. The nose on this beer was mostly caramel malts, but there was also a little bit of steeped tea and pine. After the first couple of sips I could tell the difference in quality this beer has over their other brews. It has a wonderful full feel and grittiness about it. The taste is swamped with dry biscuity malts, a pale citrus essence and a humble bitterness that makes this beer feel settling and desirable. It is a really good drink wit a certain sophistication about it. It was a great brew to start the night off right. 

Rating: 86/100




No comments:

Post a Comment