Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day 141: Pinstripe Red Ale




Name: Pinstripe Red Ale
Brewer: Ska Brewing Co. (Durango, CO)
Classification: Red Ale
Alcohol: 5.15%

Thoughts: I have been holding off on this one. I don't know why but a lot of the beers that stand out to me are Amber/Red Ales. So I held back on selecting Pinstripe because there were so many others out there. I really expected this to be a great beer because it was highly rated by both Draft and BeerAdvocate. However I had issues with it. First off this "Red Ale" poured an orangey-gold color with an abbreviated head. It looks good, but it doesn't look like a amber/red ale to me. It doesn't smell like one either. The aroma is missing the caramel and floral intensity I usually get with these types of beers. These things aren't absent, just dull. The flavor was also slightly dull with an unwanted skunkiness to boot. This beer actually got better as it warmed and I was able to get some sweet malts and florally hops. I would recommend this for a try, but you won't se me buying a 6-pack of this anytime soon. 

Rating: 77/100


No comments:

Post a Comment