Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Day 143: Red Oak


Name: Red Oak
Brewer: Red Oak Brewery (Whitsett, NC) 
Classification: Amber Ale
Alcohol: 5%

Thoughts: Red Oak is pretty big in North Carolina from my observations. They have this awesome brewery along I-40 in Whitsett which is midway between The Triangle and Greensboro. I pass it every time I head to the western part of the state. So I thought it was time to saddle up this pony and see what the big fuss was about. This brew does pour an angelic amber color that tended to point more towards red than brown. The head was highly carbonated and a pure white. But that is about where my notion of this being a great beer ended. The aroma is completely malty and musty with little to no hops present. I expect and want a little bit of sweetness in the nose, but got none. The flavor is a nutty, not my type of nutty, with another blast of malt to follow it. This time there is a bit of sweetness in the malt, but still not enough. The finish is dry and smooth which allows the aftertaste to be slightly pleasant. For the most part, I am confused by this beer. It has potential and is well-liked, but for me it is nothing special. 

Rating: 79/100


No comments:

Post a Comment