Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day 116: Bad Penny


Name: Bad Penny
Brewer: Big Boss Brewing Co. (Raleigh, NC)
Classification: English Brown Ale
Alcohol: 5.5%

Thoughts: Before I start, let it be known I am not a Carolina Panthers fan. I like them, but not a fan. I am 100% and always will be a New York Giants fan. Just want that disclaimer out there before you see the picture above and think something else. However, I am a huge fan of Big Boss and this is their standard. Bad Penny is the best year-round beer they make and my top 2 or 3 favorite beer brewed in North Carolina. This English Brown Ale pours a bristling black with a light tan head. The nose is pretty classical with aromatic notes and hints of flavorful malts and toasted almonds. The taste is very manly and proud despite that fact that it is extremely easy to drink and you can easily have more than a couple at a time. There seems to be a cocoa/chocolatey thing going on and when combined with the sweetness and nuttiness from the malts it makes an overarching symbol of great craft brewing. The reason I like it so much is because I could have it the dead of winter and feel warm or in the heat of summer and feel refreshed. It is truly a year-round beer, plus it makes a lot of cents. Get it! 

Rating: 90/100

No comments:

Post a Comment