Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day 120: A Little Sumpin' Wild Ale


Name: A Little Sumpin' Wild Ale
Brewer: Lagunitas Brewing Company (Petaluma, CA)
Classification: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
Alcohol: 8.9%

Sidenote: It is Day 120, which means I am 4 months (roughly 1/3) through my quest. I still have 8 months to go. My liver is doing well, and my thirst for beer has grown immensely. I realize that even after the year is over I still have so much to learn. 


Thoughts: It was pint night at Tyler's last night and Lagunitas was the Brewer of the Day. This meant if you got a Lagunitas brew you got to keep the cool pint glass. You can see the one I got above. If you can't make out the picture it is the dog on all their bottles. I kind of liked the glass, but I really liked the beer. This Belgian Strong Pale Ale poured a luscious foggy gold with a bright white head that stuck in my sketchy moustache after the first sip. The nose is massive and oozes all types of fruit, spices and some dank Belgian yeast. It was delightful yet packed a punch. It reminded me of other stronger Belgian styles, like Trippels or even a Quad. But the smell is not even the best part. The taste is like punching your most ferocious enemy in the face and then he runs away crying for his "Momma". It is that satisfying. The yeast again is the standout, but it is backed up by zesty orange peel, sweet grapefuit, sharp pepper and coriander, and a smooth alcoholic finish. I found this beer to be electrifying, big in flavor, and simply enjoyable. There is a lot to discover with A Little Sumpin' Wild. 

Rating: 91/100

No comments:

Post a Comment