Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 147: Leviathan Imperial IPA



Name: Leviathan 
Brewer: Harpoon Brewing Co. (Boston, MA)
Classification: Imperial IPA
Alcohol: 10%

Thoughts: Harpoon is another good-sized brewery that I have yet to have on the blog up until now. No particular reason for holding off on them, but they are going to have two beers on the blog this week. I bought this one and I have a friend buy me another Harpoon brew that will be on later in the week. This is their Imperial IPA offering and it poured a pale gold that was slightly off-putting because Imperial IPAs are usually a little cloudy and more vibrant. The nose was also not very attractive. It was slow to develop, but when it did there was weak sweet malts, floral hops and citrus. So when it came time to actually drink this brew I was expecting more disappointment. Well, that didn't happen. The foam laced around the glass, the body was smooth as silk, and the flavor was intense. The alcohol was well balanced against the bitter hops and piney malts. It's been a while since I have had such a drinkable Imperial IPA. It is remarkably good. With all that said, they need to work on the presentation of this beer because it could look better and smell better. It cost this beer a chance to be in my top 10. 

Rating: 89/100


No comments:

Post a Comment