Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 150: #9


Name: #9
Brewer: Magic Hat Brewing Co. (Burlington, VT)
Classification: Fruit/Vegetable Lager
Alcohol: 5.1%

Thoughts: When I had Magic Hat's Oktoberfest beer I mentioned how much I love Magic Hat. There is just something about their beer that entices me. Maybe because it is brewed with excitement or concocted differently than other beers. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it works. Today, I have their flagship beer, #9, on the blog. I had it straight out of the bottle so I am not sure exactly how it pours. It smells of toasted malts with some nuttiness and a butt load of apricot extract. It is an extremely fruity beer and it borders on being a lambic-style beer. The taste is extravagant in my mind. I know that some reviewers are over the "shock and awe" factor of this beer, but I'm not. It is obviously fruity since it is brewed with apricot extract and it obviously has a paleness to it since it is a pale ale recipe. However, there is a subtle earthiness and a modest hoppy bite on the tongue to it. Even though it is dominated by the fruit, it still has more to it. I will enjoy this beer to the day I die and I don't care who makes fun of me for it. 

Rating: 87/100


No comments:

Post a Comment