Monday, December 19, 2011

Day 163: Delirium Tremens



Name: Delirium Tremens
Brewer: Brouwerij Huyghe (Melle, Belgium)
Classification: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
Alcohol: 8.5%

Thoughts: Tonight's beer is a special one to me. I have been wanting to try it for a long time because of all the wonderful things I have heard plus its just an awesome bottle. The one problem was that I could never muster up the 6 bucks this bad boy cost. For a 12oz. bottle of beer? I finally did it though and I am damn glad I did. This beer actually looks like a yellowish, highly-carbonated champagne instead of a high-gravity intense beer. The soft sparkly white head sits on top of this beer and really makes it look classy by the way. The aroma is incredibly spicy with lots of pepper and phenol. There is a fruity hit that follows the spice and a hoppy note that follows that. I originally expected this to be a very alcoholic beer with a complex flavor that I wouldn't be able to handle. Instead the complexity was so balanced this beer was just dynamic! The first thing I noticed is the ridiculously crisp bite that hits the palate. It is very similar to the carbonated bite you get from champagne. The crispness is followed by sweet honey, white grapes and a lightly spicy phenol. The finish was a warming alcoholic flush down the throat. This beer is so exciting and so captivating. I recommend this experience to anyone and everyone. It is not just a drink it is much more than that. 

Rating: 92/100


No comments:

Post a Comment