Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day 151: New Holland Charkoota Rye


Name: Charkoota Rya
Brewer: New Holland Brewing Co. (Holland, MI)
Classification: Smoked Doppelbock
Alcohol: 7.79%

Thoughts: I was out drinking with a friend and decided I really wanted to try something different. I wasn't in the mood for a porter or stout, but this New Holland Charkoota Rye caught my eye. A smoked rye doppelbock? Sure, why the hell not. It pours a dark woody brown with a medium-sized tan head that is foamy and clean. The smell is similar to barbecued or smoked pork with some sweet malts, dark fruit and a hint of molasses.  The flavor started out a bit smokey and woody, but ended up being sweet, fruity and very drinkable. The rye and alcohol came into its own during the finish. I was surprised by this beer and I was happy that my adventurousness paid off. I might try and be more adventurous in my selections over the winter, especially if I run into beers like this Charkoota Rye. 

Rating: 86/100

No comments:

Post a Comment