Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 183: Ovila Abbey Dubbel


Name: Ovila Abbey Dubbel
Brewer: Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. (Chico, CA)
Classification: Dubbel
Alcohol: 7.5%

Thoughts: I am starting to realize that some of these bigger breweries have other smaller brands of beer  under the larger brand company. For example, this brew is the brand Ovila, but it is owned by Sierra Nevada. And when I say I am realizing that they this is the case I mean that I am actually starting to look for it instead of finding out after I have already bought the beer. They usually say it somewhere on the back of the bottle in small print. So be on the lookout for that. Anyways, this Abbey Dubbel pours a reddish brown with a soft white head that faded fairly fast. The smell was made up of a mild dark fruit smell, roasted malts, and hint of sweet toffee or caramel. It wasn't anything special, but it served its purpose. The taste is just a more flavorful version of the smell. It consists of red grapes or plums, a woody grainy malt flavor, some sweetness and a faint spice. I enjoyed this beer, but I don't know if I'd get it again. It just didn't seem memorable. 

Rating: 84/100

No comments:

Post a Comment