Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 194: Ruthless Rye


Name: Ruthless Rye
Brewer: Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. (Chico, CA)
Classification: Rye Beer
Alcohol: 6.6%

Thoughts: Another Sierra Nevada brew on the blog. I use to think they were limited to their Pale Ale because I do not care for their IPA, Kellerweiss, or other year-round beers. But the brews I have been trying lately have been great. This one pours a reddish amber with an off-white head that holds and leaves rings of very pretty lace. The nose is flowery with whole-cone hops that smell to me like lemon flowers (if there was such a thing), a touch of rye and a hint of caramel. I can't get over how pretty and lemony/citrusy the hop character is. The taste is just what the nose led me to believe. Citrusy hops with a bit of peppery rye flavor riding on a backbone of soft caramel. It is very well balanced, nicely done and a medium body. I just wished it was a tad drier. Overall, another very fine, accessible brew from Sierra Nevada.

Rating: 87/100


No comments:

Post a Comment