Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 190: Epic Imperial Red Ale



Name: Imperial Red Ale
Brewer: Epic Brewing Co. (Salt Lake City, UT)
Classification: Amber Ale
Alcohol: 8.1%

Thoughts: I usually buy a 22oz. Bomber of something good at the store when they have something new i want to try. This time there was a bunch of things I wanted, but I went with Epic Brewing's Imperial Red Ale because Epic is a brewery I am unfamiliar with and wanted to learn more about them.   So, let's review this brew. It pours a very dark red that is borderline brown with a thin white head that laced wonderfully around the glass. The aroma has loads of caramel and fruity sweetness that rise from the glass with some hints of floral hops. There is a lot of oily hops, somewhat piney resign, and a touch of grapefruit in the taste. As it warms, I get some more darker roasted malts which I didn't expect. The feel is creamy and a little chunky, but a full flavored beer nonetheless. I think there is a lot to offer here from a non-standard Amber Ale. I think it is also the type of beer that can be a Hit or a Miss, but it was a Hit for me.

Rating: 87/100


No comments:

Post a Comment